Thursday, April 22, 2010

Crossing the line

Anyone who knows me also knows that I am staunch detractor of President Obama and his Marxist policies. There are many people who agree with me. In fact, this entry may surprise some people.

On facebook, there is a group "
DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN." I found the rhetoric in the title to be offensive and must say something.

With the current media blitz against anyone, especially the Tea Party movement who are speaking out against the current administration it is essential that our protests and assemblies remain calm, rational and above all, non violent. So far, the Tea Part has remained peaceful and I see no reason to believe that it would change. Even the gun rights protest in front of the Capitol where participants openly displayed their loaded weapons neither brandished nor opened fire. It was peaceful and was a positive showing that law-abiding firearm owning citizens are not violent.

To wish for, or worse pray for the president's death is abhorrent. It is fundamentally wrong to wish for anyone's death. Here is what really gets to me though. Some of the people who indicated that they "Liked" the group profess to be Christians. Although my faith seems to have taken a permanent hike, I still know that it is not Christian to wish death upon someone with whom you disagree. In fact, I find this to be base hypocrisy. What were they thinking? I would like to know. It is incomprehensible to me that one could be filled with such hatred. Hate the deeds, not the man. Disagree. Be vocal. Arm yourself with facts and truth. Then let's talk. I can get behind that. I cannot under any circumstances, however, get behind wishing for the premature death of our president.

Just think if some crazy nut job read the title of that group and took it upon him or herself to bring about such an outcome! The man has children. They don't deserve that kind of trauma. The children are innocent! Then there is the political fallout. Assassination would set back the goal to rebuild America so far, it might render it impossible. People... THINK about what you align yourself with and the consequences thereof. I understand your frustration and anger. I want things to change too. There is a RIGHT way to bring about change, and there is, most definitely a wrong way. The last thing we need is to have martyred president. The thought of wishing death on him sickens me... and it should you too!

If one takes the time to look at the postings on the group, it would become clear that there are many people who are very passionate on both sides of the aisle. The sad part is, rather than debate, there is childish name-calling and mud-slinging. I hope whomever set up the group quickly realizes that negativity begets negativity, which is never productive.

:::: stepping off soapbox ::::

Now on a completely different level, there is humor in the title of that group too. Patrick Swayze and Farah Fawcett as favorite actors? Really? Please! They were both sex symbols, but I don't think many would characterize them as great actors. This, I found amusing.

***IMPORTANT: While I was researching the site to write this blog, I inadvertently clicked in the "Like" button. As soon as I realized it (many hours later, unfortunately), I un-liked it and issued an open apology. I was mortified that I was connected with such a hateful place for even one minute! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment